Bayport-Blue Point ran away with a big lead for the team title Sunday, outscoring Center Moriches so far, 188.5-117.5, and the Phantoms also have multiple wrestlers vying for county titles at this year’s Division II Suffolk County championships.
On Monday at Stony Brook University, the following Bayport wrestlers will battle it out in the semifinals:
- Joe Palma vs. Smithtown Christian’s Peter Schneider, 96 pounds
- Matt Ceglio vs. Justin Engel, 103 pounds
- Justin Underwood vs. Mattituck’s Ryan Bergen, 112 pounds
- Dylan McGovern vs. Center Moriches’ Tristian Sess, 112 pounds
- Kyle McGovern vs. Babylon’s McHugh, 119 pounds
- John Foley vs. Babylon’s Sean Kelly, 119 pounds
- Ryan Hake vs. Center Moriches’ Sasha Pulver, 125 pounds
- Kyle Underwood vs. Mattituck’s Andres Aldaz, 130 pounds
- Matt Waddle vs. Center Moriches’ Jeremy Smith, 130 pounds
- Jeff Purdy vs. Mattiuck’s Rich Kock, 135 pounds
- Brandon Thomas vs. Hampton Bays’ Josiah Hoshyla, 140 pounds
- Ralph Fabiani vs. Port Jefferson’s Ryan Woodward, 140 pounds
- Geoff Teague vs. Center Moriches’ Mario Mayen, 171 pounds
- Joe Emmel vs. Port Jefferson’s John Proios, 189 pounds
- Harrison DeSousa vs. Port Jefferson’s Kyle Fiske, 285 pounds
Mattituck and Babylon
Aside from the semifinal matches mentioned above, Mattituck’s Jeff Strider will face Hugh Roden at 145 pounds, David Martinez will face Babylon’s Connor Valvo at 152 pounds Tomasz Filipowksi will wrestle Babylon’s Brian Laskamp at 160 and Brandon Lake will wrestle Center Moriches’ Ryan Lewis at 189.
As for Babylon, Collins Craft will wrestle Mike Menzer from Center Moriches at 103, Matt Rodriguez will wrestle Port Jefferson’s Dylan Roberts at 135 and Frank Mankewicz will wrestle Port Jefferson’s Dom Evangelista at 145.
Southampton gets two semifinalists
Nick Czelatica will wrestle Stony Brook’s Hunter Hulse in the 96-pound semifinal, while Patrick Tuths will take on Babylon’s Nick Brennan at 215.
Notes & Quotes
-Huntington’s Nigel McNeil, wrestling at 119 pounds, has not lost in two years and advanced to the semifinals with easy wins Sunday afternoon.
-Hauppauge’s Chris Mauriello, wrestling at 96 pounds, will wrestle in the semis Monday. He is the younger brother of Nick, who was recently for his battle with MRSA.
-Longwood leads all teams with six wrestlers in the semis, while John Glenn has five.
-Overall point leaders Division I: Longwood (100), John Glenn (68), Sachem East (55), Connetquot (55) and Huntington (53).
-Overall point leaders Division II: Bayport (188.5), Center Moriches (117.5), Mattituck (110.5) and Port Jefferson (99).
-Rocky Point head coach Darren Goldstein on the county finals: “This is the big show. It’s what everybody trains for all year long."