We recently posted a quiz . Here are the answers. How did you do? Let us know in the comments.
How much does a Sag Harbor yard sale permit cost?
- Answer: Chapter 290, section 3, subsection F: "Upon application, either in person or by mail, the Village Clerk is authorized to issue a license upon payment of a fee of $5."
"It shall not be lawful for any person to appear on any of the streets, public halls or public places in the Village in a state of _____."
- Answer: Under the 'peace and good order' section of Sag Harbor Village's code - chapter 192 - public intoxication is prohibited.
"The regulation of _____is deemed necessary to preserve the public peace and good order; to prevent unreasonable use of Village streets...and other public facilities...and to promote the health, safety and general welfare of the community."
- Commercial photography
- Public assembly
- Obscene and vulgar language
- Answer: Again in the 'peace and good order' section, "commercial photographic activity" is regulated, requiring a permit.
“Any person(s), corporation(s), association(s), group(s) or other entity seeking to hold a gathering or assemblage of _____ or more persons on private property shall register same with the Village Clerk."
- Answer: Per section 47 of North Haven's code, groups of 50 or more are required to obtain a permit when gathering on private property.
"Any _____ maintained in the Village of Sagaponack shall be so maintained as to prevent odor, insects, dust and other forms of annoyance from reaching any adjacent property, including public ways."
- Construction work
- Domestic pet
- Answer: Chapter 52 of Sagaponack's code warns residents to maintain their horses properly.
“No person shall in any way mutilate, cut down, remove, injure or destroy any Village _____ without the written permission of the Superintendent of Public Works.”
- Street sign
- Answer: Chapter 107 of Southampton Village's code protects its trees - though 91 percent of survey respondants didn't need to be reminded of that.
“The Village of Southampton Highway Department is hereby authorized to seize and remove any abandoned _____ from any public place within the Village without notice and shall take them to a facility within the village for redemption or disposition."
- All-terrain vehicle
- Shopping cart
- Answer: Chapter 90, enacted in 1979, regulates shopping carts in the village.
“No person shall appear in a public place in the Village of Southampton, clothed or costumed in a bathing suit, except within a distance of ___ feet of a body of water, unless such bathing suit is completely covered with fully opaque outer clothing."
- Answer: The 'public attire' section of Southampton Village's code states that individuals must remain within 500 feet of water unless properly covered.
Children under the age of _____ are required to wear a helmet when riding a bicycle.
- Answer: Chapter 312 of Southampton Town code requires all bicyclists under age 14 to wear a helmet meeting "the standards of the American National Standards Institute (ANSI Z 90.4 bicycle helmet standards) or the Snell Memorial Foundation's Standards for Protective Headgear for Use in Bicycling."
“The number of registered guests occupying [a bed-and-breakfast] at any one time shall not exceed _____”
- Answer: Chapter 330 of Southampton Town code limits bed-and-breakfast occupants to 10.
“The ____ shall investigate, study and authenticate all historic documents, as hereinabove defined, and, after determining their relevance, shall investigate the means and cost of restoring, preserving or reproducing and displaying."
- Town Historian
- Town Clerk
- Landmarks and Historic Districts Board
- Citizen Advisory Committees
- Answer: One of the (many) responsibilities of the elected position of town clerk, according to chapter 194 of the town code.
“The owner and operator of any ____ shall be of good moral character and a fit and proper person to hold a license.”
- Clothing shop
- Billiards room
- Answer: Chapter 94 regulates 'amusements,' and in particular billiards rooms. Owners of billiards rooms must obtain a billiards room license before opening one.
“Whenever this chapter requires any person to file documents with the Town Clerk, such filing shall be made in duplicate. The Town Clerk shall stamp both copies with the date received, retain one copy, and forward the second copy immediately to the ___"
- Supervisor's Office
- Attorney's Office
- Board of Ethics
- Police Department
- Answer: Pursuant to chapter 23, section 3, the town's Board of Ethics - comprised of five appointed members - receives all documentation required to be filed under the town's code of ethics.
- Note: In hindsight, this question wasn't very specific as it referenced "this chapter" without specificying which chapter. To the four very ethical people who got the question correct: nice job.