.

Woman Rescued From Burning House

Firefighters treated for carbon monoxide inhalation.

Fire trapped an elderly woman in a house on Bellows Lane in Southampton Village Thursday afternoon — but firefighters pulled her out.

A Stop & Shop Peapod delivery truck driver called in the fire.  Southampton Fire Chief Rodney “Chip” Pierson said that the call came around 5:30 p.m., and he arrived within two minutes, coming from his daughter's field hockey game at Southampton High School nearby. The first firefighters on scene were not able to get to the woman immediately because of smoke and fire, Pierson said, but when more equipment arrived firefighters put on breathing apparatus and saved her.

The victim was transported via ambulance to Southampton Hospital, and two firefighters were taken to the hospital due to carbon monoxide inhalation, the chief said. About half a dozen firefighters, including Pierson, were treated on the scene.

Pierson said that when he arrived the fire was well under way, and shortly after he got there it became "fully involved."

Around 6:15, the fire was under control but there were still flames on the roof. Pierson said that there would be many "hotspots" that firefighters need to root out. The house was severely damaged, if not a total loss.

Southampton Village Volunteer Ambulance, Southampton Volunteer Ambulance and Bridgehampton Fire Department Ambulance Company responded. In addition to 60 Southampton firefighters who responded to the scene, Sag Harbor Fire Department sent a rapid intervention team, North Sea Fire Department stood by at the Southampton firehouse on Hampton Road, and Hampton Bays Fire Department was also called on.

“This kind of call, when you have victim within, really gets the guys out fast,” Pierson said.

A October 11, 2012 at 11:31 PM
God bless our volunteers!
Joan Tutt October 12, 2012 at 12:31 AM
A prayer chain for the Masters family. Please keep them in your prayers tonight and in the coming days and weeks.
Mary Beth October 12, 2012 at 12:49 AM
Nice work! Stop and shop guy deservesuch praise
jackson cage October 12, 2012 at 01:37 AM
good old chip, true to form, calling in every fire department on long island as usual
Rkjbs October 12, 2012 at 01:54 AM
The guy just risked his life to try and save the woman and Jackson cage is going to make wise cracks. You have no reason to do this. Everyone did a great job. It's better to have too many than not enough firefighters.
Brendan J. O'Reilly (Editor) October 12, 2012 at 02:50 AM
It is customary — on the East End at least — for another department to send a rapid intervention team whenever there is a working structure fire. The purpose of RIT is to save firefighters who become trapped in a burning building. It is also customary to have another department standby when one department is fully occupied by a working fire. This way, if there is a second fire in the jurisdiction fresh firefighters, who aren't exhausted or suffering from smoke inhalation, can respond, and the first fire can still be fought. The Hampton Bays Fire Department was call in so the firefighters on the front lines could be rotated out, so none become too exhausted, overheated, or overwhelmed by smoke and carbon dioxide.
Patrice Dalton October 12, 2012 at 02:52 AM
Thank you firefighters for saving this lady.
Charles Clampet October 12, 2012 at 06:49 AM
Good morning Brendon, as far as jackson cage and anyone else like him or her do not POST their real name they should not be able to leave a comment,Furthermore the comment from jackson cage should not have been posted. I'm just saying. As far as the Fire Dept. let jackson cage spit on his fire and not call the Fire Dept. in his area,! Then jackson cage let us know how that works out for you. Sounds like he was maybe a convict,or someone who does not like Authority. Then again maybe someone who was fired from a Fire Dept? What say you jackson cage? Maybe you are fleeing from justice with a name like jackson cage. Thank you "FIREFIGHTERS" for all you do !!!!
K. October 12, 2012 at 10:16 AM
Thank goodness for people like those volunteer firepersons who can be relaxing in the sunshine watching their daughter play a sport at the school and in a moment's notice be ready to run into a burning building to save one of us - regardless of fault, the risks or whatever. These men and women are brave, quick thinking, self-less and do this voluntarily. They arrive quickly 24/7/365 in heavy gear whether it is 80 degrees and sunny or 2 in the morning in January and 5 below zero. We owe them a debt of gratitude and in many cases much more.
Draggerman October 12, 2012 at 11:44 AM
Jackson is obviously a firefighter. In this instance, a lot of manpower was needed. The house was full of belongings RIT was definately needed. Firefighters were doing an interior attack. The house was constructed with long wooden beams holing up the roof, posted for a wall of glass. After the fire weakened the posts, getting anyone on the roof was risky. Combine that with plywood ceilings, overhaul took a long time. Crews were changed out multiple times. Chip did a great job. Let him have his moment.
Rkjbs October 12, 2012 at 01:04 PM
Also Jackson Cage, get your facts straight. Chip was in the building trying to locate and rescue the woman. The mutual aid was called for by the first assistant chief Dennis Roy. Dennis made all the right calls.
Robert I Ross October 12, 2012 at 03:16 PM
I want to take a moment to acknowledge the bravery of the firefighters of the Southampton Fire Department - - including its Chief, Chip Pierson - - for their heroic acts at the structure fire in Southampton Village yesterday. We are indeed a blessed community to have such dedicated volunteer-professionals protecting us 24/7!
Ralebird October 12, 2012 at 07:48 PM
It was a ridiculous comment but should not be censored.
Mrs. Sea October 12, 2012 at 08:33 PM
We are so blessed and fortunate to have such dedicated, compassionate volunteers, and all involved should be commended and applauded. Sadly, I did just hear that Ona Masters did die as a result of this horrible fire. My thoughts and prayers are with her family and loved ones.
Douglas DeGroot October 13, 2012 at 12:31 AM
Sadly, Ona Masters did pass late Thursday night. We hope she felt no pain from the fire. She lived a full life and was loved and well cared for in her later years. And she had the pleasure of continuing to live in her own home til the day she passed. May God bless her soul and may we all say a prayer for Ona, her daughter Margery, her son Paul and their extended family. And a big thank you to all the firefighters, rescue workers, fire police, fire marshalls and any others who risked their own lives in rescuing Ona and otherwise aided in fighting this fire. Remember, these volunteers are not paid; they serve out of good will and a sense of duty.
Coach Outlet Store October 29, 2012 at 09:25 AM
There is little http://www.coachoutletonlineoe.com/ Coach Factory Onlinedispute that for Mr. Obama to at least come close enough to matching his 2008 coalition to win he will need http://www.louisvuittonbeltspc.com/ Louis Vuitton Beltto induce people to vote in a way he did not have to four years ago, before the full impact of the Connect With http://www.coachoutletsstorebm.com/ Coach Outlet StoreUs on TwitterGreatRecessionRelatfollowed by intensive partisan wrangling. Mr. Obama’s aides here said they http://www.guccibeltsmh.com/ Gucci Belthad prepared for the

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something