A noxious fume at the Marine Science Research Center that sent two university police officers to the hospital early Friday morning and caused a was not from chlorine, as had been suspected and reported in the media, according to a university spokeswoman.
"It's definitely not chlorine," Stony Brook University Director of Media Relations Lauren Sheprow said. "Chlorine is not stored in that building."
The officers became overwhelmed by the unidentified fumes after responding to an alarm at the research center at 3:40 a.m., according to authorities, who said they did not know what type of alarm it was. The officers were transported to and then Stony Brook University Medical Center, where they were treated and released, Sheprow said.
"There is no danger to the community," she added. "The odor is contained to the inside of the building."
The building was not occupied at the time of the incident and no evacuations were necessary, fire officials said.
Hazmat teams from East Hampton Town, Southampton Town and Brookhaven National Lab responded, as well as Stony Brook University Environmental Health and Safety.
Around 10:30 a.m., when the scene was determined to be safe. The source of the fumes was not found and the investigation will continue, according to Capt. Chris Brenner, spokesman for the , which was the lead agency at the emergency under Chief Rodney Pierson.