Update 1:38 p.m. - Chris Brenner, a captain with the Southampton Fire Department, said that firefighters were called at 9:16 a.m. to Southampton Hospital on a report of a fire.
Firefighters arrived under the direction of Chief Rodney Pierson, and quickly put out the fire, which was outside of the building on the Meeting House Lane side, according to Brenner. “They were able to knock it down within minutes,” he said, adding that while the fire did not get inside the building, smoke did.
“There was smoke on the first floor, but we were able to contain it to the area near the MRI machines and were able to use fans and blow smoke out of the hospital,” Brenner said.
According to a hospital spokeswoman, it appears the fire started when a cigarette was tossed into a grate and ignited leaves.
Ambulances carrying patients were diverted to other hospitals for a time, but that order was lifted rather quickly, Brenner said.
Update 10:21 a.m. - According to a spokeswoman, a fire at the Meeting House Lane side of Southampton Hospital Friday morning "was most likely started by a cigarette that was tossed into a grate and ignited leaves."
"Hospital staff working in departments on the basement level of the hospital were evacuated and the fire was quickly controlled," the spokeswoman, Marsha Kenny, said.
Southampton Fire Department responded to the fire, and Southampton Village Volunteer Ambulance and Bridgehampton Fire Department Ambulance Company were called to the scene as well, along with Southampton Village police officers. North Sea Fire Department was called to standby at the Southampton Fire Department headquarters.
Ambulances carrying patients were diverted to other hospitals during the event.
Kenny said Southampton Hospital thanks the emergency responders for their "quick and professional" response.
Update 9:53 a.m. - Bridgehampton Fire Department Ambulance Company has been called in to stand by at the scene with the Southampton Village Volunteer Ambulance.
Update 9:43 a.m. - The fire has been knocked down, according to chatter on emergency frequencies. No patient evacuations were called for.
A "working structure fire" is reported at Southampton Hospital, and the Southampton Fire Department is responding.
Firefighters are currently laying hose, according to chatter on emergency frequencies.
North Sea Fire Department has been called in to stand by at Southampton's headquarters.
Check back for updates as more information becomes available.