An act of heroism ended in sadness Friday, when news spread that an elderly woman rescued from a burning house in Southampton Village on Thursday later died.
Southampton Village police said Friday that the victim, identified as Ona R. Masters, 95, died as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning.
According to Detective Sergeant Herman Lamison, Commanding Officer of Criminal Investigations, the Southampton Village Police Department received a 911 call on Thursday at approximately 5:30 p.m. from a Stop & Shop Peapod driver, who reported smoke coming from a home at 30 Bellows Lane, which was occupied by an elderly woman.
Officers from the police department, Southampton Fire Department, and the Southampton Village Volunteer Ambulance were initially dispatched. Firefighters were able to enter and rescue an elderly woman, bringing her to safety in an act of heroism and bravery.
She was administered CPR and then transported to Southampton Hospital by the Southampton Village Volunteer Ambulance, where she later died.
Two firefighters were also treated at Southampton Hospital for smoke inhalation and carbon monoxide inhalation, and later released. Both Southampton Town and Village fire marshals are still investigating the cause of the fire, Lamison said.