Long Island is known for its many farms and vineyards scattered all over the beautiful countryside. The soil is ripe for planting and as a result many families garden and harvest their own bounty. From fresh herbs and vegetables to the occasional grape vine for homemade wines and jams the farm to table movement is alive and well. What makes for healthy and delicious eating can also make for a dangerous combination for your dogs.
Today we got a scare when a foster family called to say that puppies in their care had gone from happy and playful to lethargic and vomiting. It had happened quickly, it was severe and it was scary. As they whisked them off to be seen by the vet it was a conversation with one of our volunteers that revealed the real culprit. The family has grapevines in the backyard and it was possible that some of them could have been ingested. Could that have made the pups sick?
YES, grapes and raisins are one of a number of foods that can harm your pet causing serious and sometimes fatal consequences.
For a more complete listing visit Web MD, familiarizing yourself with this list could save your beloved dogs. While people generally know about chocolate and dogs Macadamia nuts was news to us.