Hi Everyone. So, I've been thinking about Triangle Pose today and I thought I would share with all of you...my thoughts AND I even created a simple 'how-to' video for you to try it on your own.
Trikonasana is the sanskrit term for the posture and I think it's just fun to say and do! But, in order to get the full benefit of the pose and to NOT get hurt, it's important to do it with proper alignment.
At Kripalu, where I studied, we learned to listen to the body and therefore it's limits...and really honor those limits.
Important reminders for this pose:
- Let your goal be opening the body rather than trying to get the lower arm down toward the ground. Once the torso begins to face belly down, you are going too far and losing the side body stretch we are trying to achieve.
- Keep the focus on feet grounding with toes relaxed and torso opening up.
- Reach arms away from torso, hug legs into imaginary GIANT beach ball in between.
- Allow the head and the neck to be comfortable. If relaxing them feels good, then do that. Let them hang...or face upwards...or even move in a way that feels good.
- Any pain??? Come out of it.
- Let the breath be your guide. If you are not breathing...well, you're going too far :)
*Please practice at your own risk.