Attached to this post are PDFs showing which areas of Southampton Town are subject to flooding during a hurricane, and maps showing evacuation routes for residents east and west of the Shinnecock Canal. Below, find a list of vital phone numbers to have during and after a hurricane.
You can the tool at this link from Southampton Town to enter your address to determine if your home is in a floodzone. Homes in SLOSH zones 1 and 2 are now subject to mandatory evacuation, and low lying areas of local villages are subject to evacuation. The entire Shinnecock Indian Reservation is under a mandatory evacuation.
Sign up now for Suffolk County's Code Red emergency notifications, follow Southampton Town on Facebook and Twitter for town updates, and subscribe to breaking news alerts from Southampton Patch for vital information as soon as it becomes available.
RED CROSS SHELTERS
- Hampton Bays High School, 88 Argonne Road, Hampton Bays
- Riverhead High School, 600 Harrison Avenue, Riverhead
- Easthampton High School, 2 Long Lane, Easthampton
PET FRIENDLY SHELTER
- Eastern Campus Suffolk Community College, Cutchogue Building, 121 Speonk Riverhead Road, Speonk
SPECIAL NEEDS SHELTER
- Hampton Bays Senior Center, 25 Ponquogue Avenue, Hampton Bays 728-1235
Important Phone Numbers
Print these phone numbers out and keep them in an accessible place, in case power goes out and you cannot get online to find this list again:
FIRE AND LIFE-THREATENING EMERGENCIES
- 911 (Do not call the emergency line just to ask for information. Use 631-728-3030. )
- Southampton Town Emergency Operations Center: 631-728-3030.
- Southampton Town Police: 631-728-5000
- Southampton Village Police: 631-283-0083
- Sag Harbor Village Police: 631-725-0247
- American Red Cross of Suffolk County: 631-924-6700
- Suffolk County Office of Emergency Management: 631-852-4900
- NYS Insurance Department: 1-800-342-3736
- Long Island Power Authority: 1-800-490-0075 (to report downed power lines or electrical emergency)
- National Grid: 1-800-490-0045 (emergency gas safety service)
- Suffolk County Water Authority (24-Hour Repairs): 631-665-0663
- Water Authority (regular): 631-698-9500
- Cablevision: 631-727-6300
- Hampton Jitney: 631-283-4600
- Hampton Luxury Liner: 631-567-5100
- Long Island Rail Road: 718-217-5477
- Suffolk County Transit (Bus): 631-852-5200
- Southampton Hospital: 631-726-8200
- Suffolk County Health Services: 631-853-3000
- Southampton Town Hall: 631-283-6000
- Southampton Village Hall: 631-283-0247
- Sag Harbor Municipal Building: 631-725-0222
- Sagaponack Village Hall: 631-537-0017
If you can't get online, listen to local radio stations such as WPPB 88.3 FM or WLNG 92.1 FM.
If you evacuated your home, make sure someone (friend, relative) knows where you are going. Also refer to the Town of Southampton Hurricane Survival Guide.