The language of flowers never goes out of date. With roses in a variety of new colors and shades you can create a bouquet that conveys a vast range of sentiments. Lavender or lilac means "love at first sight." Red, of course, still speaks of "love and passion" but combine pink and white and you have "everlasting devotion." If you can find a blue rose you can invoke the idea of "attaining the impossible." You're not limited to roses of course, and judging from the plethora of flower vendors in our area, you'll definitely find a shop that speaks your language.
• Located right on Jobs Lane in the heart of Southampton, Topiaire Flower Shop is the ideal spot to pick up a beautiful arrangement for the one you love. They have a great gift shop/boutique as well.
• On Montauk Highway in Water Mill, Thorn Bird Floral Boutique's fantastic selection of "lush & low" and "tall" arrangements offer limitless possibilities. They also deliver to Southampton and the surrounding areas. Call 631-726-7260 for details.
• "Rose are red, violets are blue ..." Whatever colors you fancy, Bridgehampton Florist will be able to set you up with the perfect flower choice to say "I love you."
• At the Sag Harbor Florist & Gift Shop, you'll find cut flowers, orchids, gifts for the botanically minded — in short, a superb offering of "beautiful flowers for every occasion." The perfect bouquet for your Valentine will be a cinch to choose.
• For a multitude of floral options, visit Wonder Florist on Jagger Lane in Southampton. One of their hand-crafted bouquets will be just the thing to say "be mine."
• Waldbaum's, your local supermarket, will have fresh roses flown in daily in the lead up to Valentine's Day. The convenient downtown location can't be beat.
Are we missing any local florists or flower sales from our list? Please leave a comment below if you have one to add.