Now that the storm clouds have cleared and things are getting somewhat back to normal, local business advocates have released information on art and food activities in the Village of Greenport to celebrate the holiday season next month.
Celebrate with shellfish
“Shellibration” is a restaurant walk scheduled for Dec. 8 and 9 from noon to 5 p.m., a benefit to raise money for the Southold Project in Aquaculture Training (SPAT) and the Greenport American Legion Skating Rink. A $10 wristband will give you the chance to walk from restaurant to restaurant to sample shellfish culinary creations from the village’s top chefs for $5 per plate and samples of local wines for $3 per flight.
The Shellabration event will also host a shopping component whereby participants who spend $50 or more in participating shops will have an additional $5 donated to SPAT and the American Legion.
The stroll starts at where wristbands can be purchased and a first sample of locally brewed beer and shellfish can be had. Participating restaurants and wineries include: Biere, Bruce’s Café, Cuvee Wine Bar, First & South, the Frisky Oyster, Front Street Station, Noah’s, North Fork Oyster Company, Scrimshaw, Castello di Borghese, Lieb Cellars, Macari Vineyards, One Woman Winery, Osprey’s Dominion, Raphael, Shinn Estate, and Sparkling Pointe.
Call John Kramer at 631-275-5939 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Holiday art galore
The following Greenport art galleries will also spice things up for the holidays:
• South Street Gallery at 18 South Street is hosting its sixth annual 10X10 art show and sale from Nov. 30 through Dec. 31, with opening reception on Dec. 1 from 6 to 8 p.m. All artwork is $100 per piece to benefit the North Fork Environmental Council. Call 631-477-1021 or visit www.thesouthstreetgallery.com.
• Catch “Mermania and Other Fantansies,” fine art and holiday gift items at the Sirens Song Gallery & Carriage House at 516 Main Street throughout December. Gallery hours are Friday – Monday, 12:30 to 7 p.m. or by appointment. A 20-percent portion of each sale will go to the East End Seaport Museum. Call 631-477-1021 or visit www.sirensonggallery.com.
• Artist Cindy Pease Roe will hold a reception for her open studio at Hanff’s Boatyard on Dec. 1 from 12 to 5 p.m. The studio is located at 190 Sterling Street. Visit www.cindypeaseroe.com
• Hector de Cordova demonstrates his watercolor technique at a “Wet Into Wet” reception at de Cordova Studio at 538 Main Street on Dec. 1 from 3 to 6 p.m. Call 631-477-6255 or visit www.hadecordova.com
• Winter Harbor Gallery at 211 Main Street is full to the brim throughout December with holiday arts and crafts — paintings, prints, photographs, jewelry, mosaics, fiber art, woodcrafts, and cards. Call 631-477-0010 or visit www.winterharborgallery.com
• Gallery M at 407 Main Street presents “Object d’Arte – Fine Art & Holiday Gift Items” through December, showcasing crafts, jewelry, fiber, glass, wood, ceramics, metal, furniture, paintings, and sculpture. Call 631-477-9496 or visit www.gallerym.biz.
• Elizabeth Karsch is the featured artist at the Greenport Harbor Brewing Company on Dec. 8 from 7 to 9 p.m. Enjoy fresh local craft beer with some fine art. Call 631-477-6681 or visit www.harborbrewing.com.
The 12 Days of Christmas
The 12 Days of Christmas shopping and dining event is a village-wide holiday experience that unites Greenport merchants while supporting ongoing campaigns to shop local.
The event kicks off on Dec. 13 and runs through Christmas Eve, following the themes of each day described in the famous Christmas carol. Participating merchants will interpret each of the 12 days of Christmas according to the song, offering promotions and specials to coincide with each day.
Event is sponsored by the Greenport Business Improvement District (BID) and was designed and organized by Rena Wilhelm (owner of The White Weathered Barn).