Unusual can mean whatever you want it to - practical, exotic, environmentally friendly, expensive or fun. This smattering of local choices gives you a wide range of options sure to surprise and please friends and family.
1. in Bridgehampton is known for the mouthwatering creations in its foodstore. Did you know they also have a cooking school? Offer a gift certificate to your gourmet-minded friend or spouse — you can go together — whether for a cooking class or for an overnight at the , including breakfast and cooking classes for two. Call 631-537-3660 for more information.
2. Shopping downtown Southampton? Stop in at and surprise your partner or spouse with a comfy new mattress this Christmas. (This gift may really have to be out of the box.) Sleepy's isn't just about mattresses — they also have a nice selection of luxury sheets, mattress protectors and comfort pillows.
3. It is amazing to have such a collection of designer purses under one roof — that's what makes a visit to the a unique gift buying experience. Once you step inside — you will be reassured by all the classics — try one in red or green: Versace, Prada, Fendi, Hermès, Chanel, Dior, Gucci or Louis Vuitton. Too hard to choose? Gift certificates are also available. Located at 20 Hampton Rd, Southampton.
4. A beautiful choice of eclectic gifts with a purse pleasing price-range can be found at the . Jewelry, books, prints, children's gifts — you will definitely find something out of the ordinary for those on your holiday list. Check our directory listing for the Parrish; there's a great selection of photos of the gift shop.
5. Finding a unique gift and helping a worthy cause is a great way to celebrate this holiday season. At the World Village Fair Trade Market in Hampton Bays, their carefully chosen handcrafted goods from more than 25 developing countries will surely yield a special gift for a loved one. Their motto is "Changing Lives, One Sale at a Time." Call 631-728-7880 for hours. Find them at 101 West Montauk Hwy.
6. Looking for a good family gift? Pick up a pack of passes to in Riverhead. Choose from the Aquarium Pass, Shark Dive, Penguin Encounter or the Trainer program. You can purchase online — or make a reservation to have breakfast with Santa on Dec. 18 and 19, and pick up the gift cards while you're there. Call 631-208-9200 ext. H2O (426) for details.
7. Looking for a first edition or vintage book? in Bridgehampton can help. Visit them at 2491 Main Street and discover their collection of art and photography, architecture and design, antiques and collectible, as well as signed and inscribed books.
8. Yes, a unique gift can definitely be exotic. Offer a gorgeous handmade rug from Morocco. at 29 Hampton Rd in Southampton has an amazing selection. Each rug is unique, with a variety of sizes, colors, and prices available. Call 631-259-3837 for opening hours and more information.
9. New York City isn't as far away as Morocco — but sometimes it feels that way. Getting there hassle free would make a great gift. Give a pack of passes to the commuter on your gift list. They will smile all the way to the City this New Year. Call 631-283-4600 to order one of their value packs or gift cards.
10. Have a student on your gift list? Go to at 137 Main St in Southampton and create a bouquet of colorful highlighters and Post-its® . They'll make a most welcome stocking stuffer to get the new semester started off right.