— In case you were curious about the sirens yesterday evening — a contractor struck a gas main on South Main Street in Southampton. Firefighters were on scene for about an hour to shut off the gas.
— That was the second reported gas leak firefighters had responded to that day. The Southampton Elementary School was evacuated briefly on Monday morning for a smell of gas near the boiler room. Amy Pierson, a communications relations specialist with the district, said Monday was the first school day in which the heating system was turned on due to the cooler temperatures. The fire chief found no harmful gases inside and kids returned to class quickly.
— Did you know National Take Your Parents to Lunch Day existed? I didn't, but it sounds cute, and the Tuckahoe School participated in it last week. Sponsored by the School Nutrition Association, over 60 parents joining their kids at lunchtime.
— We're working on a master list of Halloween activities, for adults and kids, so be sure to add yours to our calendar. Halloween is just around the corner.
— There was some pretty inventive birdhouses at the ninth annual "Birdhouse Auction," benefiting the Coalition of Women’s Cancers at Southampton Hospital and Lucia’s Angels, which was held on Saturday at the Peter Marcelle Gallery in Bridgehampton. Lisa Tamburini was kind enough to send some over. We've included a few more in this post
- Find a new home.
- What’s playing at the movies … and when?
- Hide and low tide times.
- Advertise your yard sale ahead of the weekend.
- Buy or sell something on our Boards.